Thursday, March 10, 2011

comparing e-readers by Colette

For Competency 2, I chose the second option: "Demonstrate how technology impacts the delivery of library resources...(etc.)

I chose the relatively (since 2009) new technology of e-readers.

While at my library job shadowing project last semester, I saw a booklet behind the reference desk, comparing e-readers.

The first e-reader was the Kindle, introduced in 2009. It was followed by the Nook, and now, the I-Pad (among others.)

E-readers impact the delivery of library- and bookstore- resources by offering another way to read books, magazines, shop, and access WiFi and the Internet. When connected with WiFi "hotspots", the readers themselves can act as a kind of "mini-laptop!"

Here are the top 3 e-readers' links:
amazon.com/kindle
apple.com/ipad
nook.com;

as well as a site from a reputable source which lets readers compare e-readers and make an informed decision.
For more information, see: consumerreports.org/ereadercomp.

2 comments:

  1. The comparison of e-readers is a great and timely topic. I bought a Kindle then realized I couldn't download books from the library!! I tried a conversion program, but it didn't really work. Luckily I was able to return it. I'm going to try a Nook next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your topic, it's funny how we stumble apon information. Just like how you found the brochure.

    ReplyDelete