Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Adaptive Technology

Adaptive Technology (a.k.a. "Assistive Technology") was a whole new field for me. I was vaguely aware of its existence, for example, I knew there were special really big computers downstairs in the Technology Lab that were set aside for disabled students, and that you had to get off them if a disabled student needed one. But that was pretty much it.

Even now, I am far from an expert about this. (For expertise, Judy really looked into this, and actually knows alot more about it than I do.) Loved your blog on this topic, Judy...

Anyway. When we decided/took what was left over from the other groups who decided first:) on this topic for our display case, I had the opportunity to learn a little more about it. One thing I learned was that there are special virtual reality-type gloves for people w/disabilities that looked like sci-fi, but were actually Braille reading devices! Also, DRAWING PROGRAMS!!! Very cool. My personal favorite is the voice activated technology that permits one who is, say, paralyzed, to talk into a microphone and then it types what the person says. (Kind-of like dictation in the old days) One of my friends who is not disabled thought this was so awesome he bought one of these just because he doesn't like to type!

No comments:

Post a Comment