Thursday, March 17, 2011

Virtual Reference

Competency #2 In many libraries virtual reference is being used to replace tradational face to face reference services. In most cases this takes the form of a chat box on the library's homepage where users can type in a question and send it to a reference librarian associated with the instition.

Three local libraries that offer online chat support are CSUSM, Palomar, and the Escondido Public Library. With the Palomar reference chat I received a response withing about two minutes. While I didn't exactly get the information I was looking for... I appreciated the quick response. At CSUSM student assistants are used on the floor to answer basic reference questions but if something more in depth is needed, they call a librarian to come out and meet with the student. Librarinan's other time is spent working and answering online reference questions. In past expereicne using this service responses were usually prompt. Really in-depth research questions usually required making an appointment to meet face to face. The Escondido Public Library has a text reference program that encourages patrons to text librarians their questions. I tried it out myself and received a response about 45 minutes later. Since September 2010 this service has received 123 questions, mostly pertaining to available items in the library and information about the area. I feel that virtual reference is beneficial for quick and straighforward questions as it can save time and allow the reference librarian to multitask, feild questions, or even work off site or for more than one library. However, I do not think it can ever fully replace traditional reference services. Considering that reference questions can range from simple (Where can I find books on cats?) to complicated (Where is the best place to find information on social stratification for a research paper?) an on-site person is still needed. For many reasons face-to-face interactions are still a more effective form of communication... meaning traditional reference is still an invaluable library service.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. I have never used the on-line chat box at a library but I have used it when I needed information on a library program on my computer at work. I received the information I needed within minutes. I thought it was great and it saved me alot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you make some good points about limitations to text-based services like "Ask a Librarian." We've all gotten emails or texts (and sent them, too, surely) that are confusing and unclear. Sometimes they're easy to misinterpret. Other times, you have no idea what the person's talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points and information! I have never used the texting reference available, but have my reservations about its effectiveness. It would be nice to see the texting service offered when no one else is available...like a midnight wrapup to an essay or project...rather than just when the library is open. And I agree with Christopher...sometimes it's hard enough to communicate when you're face-to-face, just type leaves a ton of room for miscommunication.

    ReplyDelete